Friday, April 4, 2008

How to Motivate a Helpless Student

First of all, I usually teach my students equally in the first three meetings. From the first three meeting I can find and recognize types of students in the class. In this section, I would like to share my experience in handling a helpless student. She was in grade ten. She was very nervous when I approached her for the first time. Without being asked, she told me directly, “Sir, I can’t speak English at all. My English is very bad.” I, then, responded, “No problems. I’ll teach you.” The second time I approached her, she said the same thing, ““Sir, I can’t speak English at all. My English is very bad.” Based on the theory that I have just read this week, she was in a learned helplessness at that time. Knowing her condition, I had to help her as hard as I could. First, I gave her a special attention to know her personality. I had a simple conversation in English so that she could understand me. I kept trying hard to make English much easier for her. I motivated and helped her build up her self-confidence so that she could learn and speak by practicing from the simple to difficult sessions. I kept supporting her and gave her a kind of progress reports which could motivate her more to practice and practice. When she graduated, she said, “Thank you very much, Sir. You’ve made English easy to learn.”

No comments: