Friday, April 4, 2008

How to Motivate a Reticent Student


As a teacher, I have to be able to recognize characteristics of my students. Different students have different characteristics. They have different ways of learning, different speeds of learning, different skills of learning, etc. After having been teaching for more than 10 years in my school, I have a lot of students facing some problems in learning. Actually, I have applied some psychological concepts indirectly to my students although I didn’t know the terms of the concepts.
I ever had a student who had a problem. He seemed to be very quiet in the class. Actually I know that his English is very good. He could write English well, and he also got at least 90 for all of his English tests. However, he had no courage to speak English in front of the class. If I asked him to do a speech in front of the class, he used to refuse it. I wondered what happened to him. I asked him to meet me after school so that I could know what had exactly happened to him, but he ran away from me. I got more curious to know him. I, then, invited his parents and discussed about him. Their parents told me much about him that he was very shy to talk in the class or even with his friends. He found that speaking in front of the class was as difficult as mathematic. But, I didn’t give up motivating him to speak. Through some discussions, I finally gave wonderful tricks to let him talk to his partner, groups and a whole class. Thank God. He has courage to talk in front of the class in English.

No comments: